Wednesday 13 October 2010

CD Cover. (Systems and Processes)

Introduction
For this brief we were given 1 day to think of a song and then create a single CD cover for that song.

The song i chose was Coldplays - Viva La Vida

Research & image development
My first step was to watch and listen to the song and the video. The video is shot as if it is a moving painting so i decided that the cover should also reflect this. I also noticed that the colours were highly contrasting and that my image should reflect this.





Through listening to the song there was one specific line in it that stood out to me "And I discovered that my castles stand. Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand". I decided that the main focus of my cover should be some form of imposing castle. I did a quick search on google and found Houghton tower about 10 miles away. 





This is one of the pictures i took and felt this was best suited for my needs. I then cropped the image down to fit the size of a CD cover (1080px x 1080px).



Next I slightly upped the contrasts again before using a photoshop filter effect called "Fresco". This then gave the look of a painting.


I added even more texture to the painting by downloading a cracked paint brush from Devient Art. I added these from the edges to make sure it continued the effect of a painting. Finally to keep with the theme of a painting I downloaded a brush font from a free font resource called Da Font. I added the text an in the end came up with two final text fomats. One with a plain white text and one with coloured text. In the end i chose the coloured text as my final CD cover image.

No comments:

Post a Comment